- 0202.April.Mondayhttps://lirpc.org/event/perfect-earth-project/Quogue Wildlife Preserve3 Old Country Rd, Quogue, NY 11959, USA
It’s time for all of us to take heart the warnings of real science that demonstrate the hazards to people, pets, and wildlife from the use of pesticides and herbicides in our lawns and gardens. renowned garden designer Edwina von Gal’s Perfect Earth Project, based in East Hampton, NY, collaborates with professional gardeners and lawn care services to educate workers and customers about these hazards and present sustainable, wildlife friendly alternatives to a beautiful lawn. Edwina will talk about her conversion to toxin free and why toxin free is important to supporting biodiverse ecosystems. She will also provide the basics of nature-based maintenance, and design suggestions for keeping it easy with attention to bird habitat.
Following the presentation there will be a Q&A session for individuals to address specific needs and to provide action items for encouraging neighbors and communities to engage in practices that will protect wildlife and bird populations on a wider scale.
- 0404.April.Wednesdayhttps://lirpc.org/event/rethink-poverty-the-community-action-poverty-simulation-caps/Maurice A. Deane School, South Campus, Hofstra University113 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549
This interactive, immersive program is a profoundly moving experience as it encourages people to think about the harsh realities of poverty and talk about how communities can address the problem. Most importantly, it moves people to make a difference. CAPS bridges the gap from misconception to understanding. It sensitizes community participants to the realities of poverty as it is based on real Community Action clients and their lives. CAPS exists to promote poverty awareness, increase understanding, and inspire local change.
Advance registration is required; participating is limited. Light refreshments will be served.
Co-sponsored by the Maurice A. Deane School of Law and Hofstra University Honors College.
For more information, please call the Hofstra Cultural Center at (516)463-5669 or visit:
- 0707.April.Saturdayhttps://lirpc.org/event/seal-walk-at-cupsogue/CupsogueUnnamed Road, Westhampton Beach, NY 11978, USA
Call CRESLI at (631)244-3352 for schedule changes and cancellations. The walks are approximately 1.2 miles round trip and take about 1 to 2 hours. Suitable for children. Suggested contributions $5 per adults and $3 per child.
- 1010.April.Tuesdayhttps://lirpc.org/event/affiliated-brookhaven-civic-organization-meeting-3/Coram Firehouse9 Old Middle Country Rd, Middle Island, NY 11953, USA
Member of the public are welcome. Come and join us in working to make Brookhaven Better Through Community Participation and Civic Engagement.
For more information call (631)281-7145 or email email@example.com.
- 1111.April.Wednesdayhttps://lirpc.org/event/peconic-estuary-program-management-committee-meeting-2/Suffolk County Community College20 E Main St, Riverhead, NY 11901, USA
Suffolk Community College Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center